C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:13:42 -0400
Hello,

I'm 39.?

are my posts showing up with question marks?? b/c I am typing them normally and then seeing question marks after the end of some sentences.

anyway, I think my vision problems were a key part of what was wrong.? basically I lived in fear b/c I could not visually process and mentally integrate information.? one problem I had was called 'visual neglect.'? anything past midline (when my head was straight) didn't register so objects to my RHS - they were there and I in some way "saw" them, but not well.? they did not register mentally as important.? so I fell and etc. a lot.

it left me with the feeling that I could get harmed easily b/c I could not see.? my parents took me to Doctors who didn't listen.? in my case, it wasn't having the impairment per se, but rather, having *no accommodations* for it.

I also had both physical and sexual abuse outside the family, where I was told directly that I seemed "weak" and easy to abuse so that caused a lot of trouble.

but - now I am an adult and I have far better help and more resources.? I have some very supportive people in my life.

my biggest problem is exhausting myself trying to be independent.? my second biggest problem is not understanding what independence is.? after that it's anxiety.

what is independence?? and how can I know my limits and still be independent?? when is it "giving up" and when it is right to stick things out?

that confuses me.

take care,

Mary Katherine