C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:16:14 -0400
Hello,

I hope this is on topic, if not please let me know.

I find it hard to describe to people what my childhood was like.? how my parents were afraid for me, b/c I was premature, and also how they really couldn't deal with the impairments I had.

it was very stressful for me, but in a way that is difficult for me to explain.? the fear, the restrictiveness, and also the limitations, but then my having to try to prove myself as 'normal' or at least fake it.

I have mild CP but I also have vision and vestibular issues, and something like epilepsy.? some brain problem that caused something like mild seizures.? I don't understand it so I can't explain it very well.

one thing I heard is that children with disabilities, often parents set their expectations either too high or too low.? mine set them too high.? I had to achieve in school and fake normal and not quit or -

walking was very hard but they had trouble if I walked "funny."

they meant well, my parents, this is not to blame them, but I have a hard time describing what it was like.? b/c my parents had a lot of fear as well.

it was a combination of

'do for yourself.? we can't help you'

and

'the world is a dangerous place.'