Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2008 21:30:22 -0500
Eric,  Yes, this brings up another experience actually.

One day in 1970 or so, my friend N8KL called me and said he heard some Novices
talking in CW at about 35 WPM.  I could barely copy that fast.

Well, I'd be darned if some Novices were going to send faster than I could
copy.  We talked to this group for years; after they got their Generals.  As
far as I know, several of them are still licensed including the YL.

The other part of that experience came later.  In 1976 when the FCC changed
their rules about when one could get a 1 by 2 call, I changed my call to the
present K8SP.

In 1977, I was at Law School at the University of Michigan.  One night, I waws
recounting this story to a couple ham friends of mine and mentioned that one
of the Novices was WA2ICU.  My friend said, Hey, Steve, do you know that
you've been talking to him on the 146.97 repeater?  I found out his new call
was N2IC.  Of course, those of you into cont4esting nowadays are sure to
recognize Steve's call.

Anyway, so I knew his new call, but he didn't know mine.  The next time I
heard him on the air, I accidentally (well, not really) slipped and threw his
old call at him.  He said, wait a minute, who are you?  So I gave him my old
call, and we met at a bar for an eyeball.

Steve, K8SP