From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:03:29 -0400
Hi.

Since I still use a straight key, I cheated.  I made up a little switchbox
with a 6 position double pole switch, and put a panel of 6 quarter inch
phone jacks on the back of the box.  On the front of the box, I mounted a
quarter inch phone jack which I wired to the common terminals on the switch
and wired each of the six jacks on the back to a set of the output
terminals on the switch.  Lastly, I mounted a single pole single throw
switch across the key line where it plugs in on the common side of the
switch.  I used shield audio patch cords to run to each of the rigs that
can operate CW in the shack, and now what I have is a switch box where I
can switch the key to any radio that I want to transmit on, and if I need
to tune one, I throw the SPST toggle switch on the front until I am done
tuning  (especially helpful with manual tuners where there are never enough
hands to hold down a key and adjust caps at the same time.  Of all of the
gadgets that I've ever made for the shack, that one is probably the most
useful one that I have.  By the way, I can also run the keyboard keyer
through that switch by plugging it in in place of the straight key.  I
suppose that if I had, I might have been able to bond all of the grounds to
the case and only switch the signal leads for the paddles.  What I did do
was isolate the grounds on the jacks from the case itself by mounting them
on perfboard such that the ground side of the jack did not make contact
with the case.

Anyway, that design has served me well for the last 25 years.

73, de Lou K2LKK

I've never liked paddles, so I've never had to worry about the third conductor.