VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 2009 19:48:37 -0500
7bit
From:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
I think you can get a trial version of the full blown AVG security
suite. You can also read up on what's included in their security suite.
I downloaded the trial back in the AVG 7 days and concluded that it
wasn't for me. It contained too many things I didn't need, such as a
firewall and an antispam utility, and it was too much of a performance
hit. I probably could have spent more time tuning it and including only
what I wanted, but I figured that would just end up being an antivirus
tool, which I can get for free.

Your own security needs will depend on your set up. As Ray mentions, if
you are already behind a hardware firewall then you may not need a
software firewall. Your ISP may have spam blocking so you may not need
an antispam utility running on your PC.

Remember too that no security suite is going to protect you against
everything. You still need to update your OS and key applications which
may have security vulnerabilities, such as your browser, media player,
office suite and so on. You also need to set log in passwords on your
system and lock down your router. Finally, nothing beats common sense.
Be careful where you serf and what you download and you'll avoid most
problems.

--
Christopher