VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:44:59 -0400
Hi all,
I read everybody's feedback, and thank you all for your responses.
Here's why I wanted to bring all this up anyway.  Many folks who use computers (both disabled and nondisabled), have not liked Vista, and Microsoft knows this, because they're losing money on this, so, in 2010, they will come out with a new operating system, called Windows 7, and who knows what it will look like.  I hope it looks like xp, because it's so easy to use, with it's desktop, and menu structure, and of course, xp is very stable, compared to vista.
We will all have to decide what we'll do, for operating systems when the computers we are using now, well, shal we say, kick the bucket.  So, we need to start thinking about it as blind computer users, even more, because as you all do, I depend on computers for most of the activities I do daily.
So, for us, it's not just a passing fancy, of, "oh who cares what I'll use."  We need to care about the future and what we'll use, and begin to prepare now to switch in the future, whenever that will be.
Now, if Windows 7 is to our liking as blind computer users, then we're set, but, if not, then what will we do?  So, instead of waiting till then, we all need to begin thinking about that day, and preparing, (at least if you like me, are an xp user), about what we'll do.
Now, if any of you have knowledge about windows 7, let us know what you know about it.  That will help people to make decisions.
As far as Vista is concerned, I don't get into tree views, so, that's out for me.  I want what xp is, a desktop, and a menu structure.
As for Mac, I don't like the finder.  I want a desktop, and menus, just like xp.
What if it's a new user, who doesn't know anything about computers?  The mac and vista, are just way beyond them, because remember folks, this person, (whoever he/she is), has just turned on their computer, so let's put ourselves in their place.  They want it as easy to use as possible, and that's why xp is so good, because it's easy to use.  There's a desktop, everything's there, right in front of ya.
Now, for Linux, there are 4 audio files you can listen to, and I will mention even more, if I find them on the web.  But, for now, here's 4 you can listen to.
The first is from main menu, 7 May, 2003.

http://www.acbradio.org/archives/mainmenu/mm1374.mp3

then, the main menu from 14 May, 2003

http://www.acbradio.org/archives/mainmenu/mm1382.mp3

then, the 3rd part, from Main menu for 21 May 2003

http://www.acbradio.org/archives/mainmenu/mm1393.mp3

and the final main menu, from 11 June 2003,

http://www.acbradio.org/archives/mainmenu/mm1423.mp3

So folks, that's all I have for now.  If I come up with more, I'll let you all know.
Harry

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]