C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:50:58 -0400
Subject:
From:
Linda Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
Welcome Jennifer!  I'm Linda, 36 with mild/moderate spastic diplegia
CP.  I actually am working on my doctorate at Towson in MD and work
there part-time.  If you are close to there and ever want to grab
lunch while I am on campus, let me know. (I live in PA, though, and
am only down in MD 2x a week).

Now I certainly haven't dealt with being immobile, but I can tell you
I recall very well when I finally figured out I was different than
the other kids when I was in 7th grade.  I went through about 2 weeks
of self-pity and then realized I better get over it because all the
crying in the world wasn't going to change who I was.  I certainly
credit my "go get 'em" attitude to my parents who were there to
encourage me.  They taught me to excel at my strengths and not focus
on what I couldn't do.  (Thus why I ended up being an elementary
teacher and now college professor -- learning is definitely my
thing!)  So, my best advice is be there for him, listen to his
concerns, don't make false promises, and encourage him to focus his
energies on something he can do.  Oh, and unless he has some
cognitive deficits as well, don't think he is too young to get it.  I
have worked with kids that young and they can comprehend that they
can't do things like other kids do...you just have to keep the
language direct and simple.

Linda Macaulay