Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:45:08 -0600
Did anyone here ever run one of the hi-gain CB boards that a lot of people
converted to 10 meter FM in the late 70s and early 80s?

I think it was Bob Heil who designed the mod.

They wouldn't work repeater splits, but I heard and worked bunches of them
on simplex when I bought my TS440 in 1986.

I never owned one of the FM conversion units, but I still have an AM only
unit from Sharp that works great on 10 meters. The first contact I made with
it was with a KH6 who was also running a converted Sears Road Talker.

I can't wait for 10 to get hot again, or even just a little warm, so I can
fire that rig up for another solar season. With a little luck, I'll have my
Lafayette HA410, which is a plate modulated AM only box going by then too.

I also have a Radio Shack HTX10 which will work great on FM as long as I
don't need a PL tone, and as long as I power it up often enough to maintain
the off set and the memory storage.

I could use the TS570, but there's just something fun about making contacts
with cheap, low power rigs that some hams openly call "Junk."

Mike Duke, K5XU,
Certified Pack Rat