Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:42:08 -0500
	Our local repeater is going to install a tone on the
input, something that really needs to be done, but that means I
need to either procure a CTCSS board for my old Kenwood TR7800
or buy a new transceiver.

	I would imagine the new transceiver is the smartest move
as the Kenwood is around 28 to 30 years old. It works great, but
I don't have the tone module as those things weren't really
necessary when I  bought it back in 1981.

	The receiver is excellent, without a single pager or
other out-of-band signal so I am spoiled as to what a good
receiver can do.

	Which of the new transceivers are fairly accessible, can
generate CTCSS tones, and hopefully cost under 300 Dollars?

	For me, accessibility means that you can start from a
known state and count button presses or knob clicks to get where
you need to get.

	Of course, speech chips and computer ports are nice, but
a good receiver is what it is really about.

	The repeater probably will not transmit the CTCSS tone
so I would need to be able to receive without CTCSS but transmit
with it.

	I imagine the 7800 will still see some use if I ever get
on packet, but I guess it's time to get modern.

	Thanks for any good ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer