Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 13:28:40 -0500

Jane,
I am a student at Catholic University in Washington, DC.  We are
required to be on a meal plan if we live in the dorms--It DOES NOT
work!  I did find that the University accepted letters from my
physician and excused me from the meal plan.  I have family
nearby, and simply make a trip home over the week-end and cook
my meals there, freeze them in portion sizes and reheat them
in the microwave during the week.  I have also learned to live
on salads!!
Be wary of univiersities that say that they can accomodate the
diet--you know how hard it is for celiacs themselves to sift out the
hidden glutens!  I tried that here for a semester and was MISERABLE.
Most universities provide microwaves now, and usually it is possible
to rent a small refrigerator.  Definitely worth it!!
Good luck!
Tracey.