From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:45:39 -0700

I had to start eating out again during a local conference, but stayed in
the high-rent districts to do so. Good results so far.

The Biltmore hosted the conference. Catering passed my fax along to Chef
Dave who cooked (steak, rice, veg) for me off and on all week. Waiter Raj
was light-hearted about the whole thing and remembered my special order
without being reminded. I felt like a princess. Luckily my boss picked up
the tab.

Next to the downtown library is Cafe Pinot. If you can tolerate fats, the
food is excellent and the plain French fries are made fresh and GF. But I
didn't feel that great afterwards. They actually use a mixture of lard and
oil when they cook. The outdoor dining is not to me missed.

The Gardens in Westwood (near UCLA Hammer Museum) has a celiac waitress
named Mary Ann. Phone 310/824-1818 (Fax: 310/824-4249.) It was the first
place I went where I didn't make arrangements beforehand. I call it divine
provenance. I ate a chicken breast, dry steamed veggies, and papaya for
dessert.

Someday, I'll cultivate chefs who can cook me something more interesting
than grilled something, steamed something and GF starch (or not).
Meanwhile, I enjoyed the courtesy and discretion that one finds at good
restaurants who've been warned of one's arrival.

I'll tell you the name of the place another time, but the funniest reaction
to my menu guide was from a Santa Monica deli waiter who looked it over and
said, <So, it looks like all you can eat is rocks and sticks.> I actually
got to have rosemary chicken and wild rice salad, but it was best negative
reaction I've ever gotten to my being gluten and lactose intolerant.

Bon Apetit,
Mary Courtney
Los Angeles