From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 1996 15:19:47 -0700

Hi Janet and celiac friends,

You are asking such good questions that I feel bound to share my answers
with the whole group.

Your first is about what oils I use. I'll post my oily thoughts in a
separate message since someone else asked me too.

RE Rice in the Fridge:
Since it is warm all year round here, I freeze large bags of rice and then
keep most of it in the fridge where it's safe from new pests. When I move
it to the fridge, I open the bag during defrosting to let the fridge take
the extra moisture out of the bag. Then I fill my counter canisters with
brown and white rice so they're handy for my rice cooking.

RE Trader Joe's:
Yes, Trader Joe's is based in Pasadena, Ca., and according to a recent post
is opening stores closer to you all the time. (Currently in Boston.) I
should buy stock! It was Elaine Monarch of the Celiac Disease Foundation
here in LA who guided Carol Impara of Trader Joe's during the making of the
GF shopping list. Thank you, Elaine and CDF.

RE foggy brain:
Yes, I sure know what foggy brain is all about. I was so dependent on a
constant flow of calories while I was healing that I had to try to remember
to eat before I got hungry because hungry meant I was already getting
<stupid>.

I used to have terrible things happen to me while driving in the city. Now
I know that back then I wasn't physically able to keep track of everything
going on around me. Granted, I still keep boxes of juice, and those Health
Valley bars in the car for caloric emergencies. And I take two bananas with
me when I leave the house. One is to eat before driving home, the other
ends up being given to the first beggar I come across during the day. How
many times have I wondered whether a street person has celiac disease?
There but for the grace of God . . .

RE Grad school:
Being a grad student during my healing period worked out pretty well,
especially since I could schedule classes for either TTH or MWF and have
days at home to catch up on taking care of myself and my homework.

MISC:
My first years off most glutens were so much better than before, that I had
no idea that I would someday become more energetic, have a better memory,
and actually feel more creative and insightful.
Now if I don't finish tasks easily because I have too many going on at
once, rather than because of absent-mindedness.

Catch me on a week when I've been poisoned, and you see the old miserable
Mary again: no motivation, lots of physical symptoms like constipation and
headache, and very little interest in taking care of myself. Then I have to
force myself into the kitchen to make rice and chicken broth and decaf tea
and Orange Julius drinks. And the amount of sleep I need when I've had
contaminated food! Oy! (I'm one of those whose reactions to gluten have
gotten worse after healing.)

Wasting away to 110 lbs reminded me how short life is. It was not a short
road to feeling this normal, and I'm sure there are hurdles to come, but
that's what it's about. I expect that my next spiritual task will be
learning to practice compassion for people in the office setting who say
insensitive things about my diet because they've never had to give up some
food item forever. If I'm feeling mischievous, I'll bake them an Authentic
Foods chocolate cake (which wheat-eaters love), watch them scarf it, and
enjoy the thought of how much gas the bean flour gives to those
unaccustomed to it.

I love coming across alcoholics in long-time recovery because they've been
there.  One once said to me that he wished he got physically ill after the
slightest amount of booze. Imagine being envied. (I wouldn't trade places
with them. I rarely crave my poison, and I can make an equally satisfying
substitute.)

Take good care,
Mary Courtney
Los Angeles