From:
"Celeste M. Sutter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 11:20:00 EDT

Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I read with interest your post about your daughter. You had mentioned that
>she was "tentatively" diagnosed as celiac and that she also seemed to be
>sensitive to milk.  Has your doctor done any of the celiac tests,
>immunoglobulin or biopsy?

Susan--she had a biopsy done which showed that her villi were "broad and
flat" and the doctor tentatively diagnosed CS.  She said she would require
a second biopsy after 6 mos of GF diet and a third after a 3 mo gluten
challenge before she could specifically diagnose CS.  No antibody tests
were done at that time.  I am concerned about this gluten challenge--I just
can't see myself giving my daughter something I know harms her, especially
since she finally seems to be feeling better after a month on the diet.

We have since received a second opinion, hence the treatment of Pancrease,
with the supposition of a pancreatic enzyme deficiency.  The second doctor
considered this, since "something" happened between 3-4 mos that caused her
weight to drop off noticeably, prior to the introduction of gluten.

I am not familiar with the amino acid profile, would you care to explain
what it is, and what you can ascertain from such tests?

Celeste M. Sutter
Hanover College
P.O. Box 108
Hanover, IN  47243