From:
"Karen M. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 08:56:24 -0800

Don Wiss wrote:
> Karen Davis wrote:
>
> >which means that I'm going to have to make her teething biscuits -
>
> I have not raised kids, but I do look to the past as a guide to what we
> should be doing. What is the purpose of teething biscuits? In prehistory
> (and in undeveloped countries) babies were nursed for 2-3 years and ate
> nothing else. Biscuits didn't exist. What is the doctor basing his advice on?

The purpose of teething biscuits is to give the child something to gnaw
on (besides mommy) when teeth start coming in.  Erin started rice cereal
at 3.5 months as my milk supply failed and soy formula wasn't enough for
her.  Most kids seem to need something besides milk as they hit 14
pounds, which she did at 3 months! Also, If you've not raised children,
there's nothing quite like a hungry baby who can't get enough calories
down to stay full - Erin was eating every 2 hours, and if we fed her
more/more often than we did, she ate too much and spit it all up anyway -
she was constantly hungry and constantly miserable.  Now that we have the
feeding problem "solved", she's a much happier baby, with a much happier
mommy ;-)

The doctor is basing his advice on keeping her *off* everything we (mommy
and daddy) are allergic to until she is a year old (at least).  Since he
*doesn't* want another kid in his practice with gluten enteropathy, and
I'm wheat allergic as well as gluten-intolerant, that means that
commercial teething biscuits are out.

> Don Wiss.
>
> P.S. Had the doctor not told my mother to feed me pabulum starting at six
> weeks, I may not have become celiac at 14 months.

Or then again, you might have, anyway.  They're going tofind out that
this is all genetic in origin, anyway :-(

karen

[log in to unmask]   (if urgent, use [log in to unmask] - the better half)
Karen Davis of Davis and Associates (818)892-8555
           "Pain is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down;
                       Death is her way of INSISTING!"