From:
Mary Garrard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Garrard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 2009 22:24:21 -0700

Hello, I had numerous responses to my original post. Thanks to everyone who replied, and sorry I didn't get to reply to you all individually.

A number have tried Expandex, with good results ("better crust and texture"; "wouldn't bake without it now"; "it made my pancakes better"; "made good chocolate chip cookies").

I noticed that many of the recipes on the Expandex website use a lot of the product, a cup or more per recipe. Several people said that they have experimented with using smaller amounts than that with good results. One said he used only a tablespoon of Expandex per cup of flour; another said she substitutes two tablespoons per cup of flour; another uses 1/4 cup per recipe; another uses 1 tablespoon in every recipe.

Several people said they have the cookbook (Carol Fenster's 1001 Gluten Free Recipes), and like it. Some use the recipes and substitute regular tapioca starch for the Expandex, with good results.

One website has a number of recipes using Expandex:  http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking/.

And another blogger on Expandex in chocolate chip cookies:

A couple of people mentioned Jules Gluten Free Flour, a mix which has Expandex as an ingredient, and like it a lot.

For me, the jury's still out on whether this product would make a big enough difference in my baked goods to invest in it. After nearly 9 years of experimenting, I'm getting pretty good results pretty consistently. But there's only one way to find out if Expandex would up the ante, and that's to try some.

I got a nice response from this company:

"We're in the middle of updating our website with a new company so
the info on it is a little outdated.  We do carry Expanex.  We only
have it available in 1 lb bags.  The cost is $5.99 a bag and I'd be
happy to send some out to you.  We usually ship things via the US
Postal Svc because it's the least expensive method.  The shipping cost
would be about $4.80, but if there's anything else you wanted me to
send we could probably fit it in the same flat-rate box and note incur
any extra charges.

If you want me to go ahead and send it out, please let me know.  You can either pay via PayPal (send to [log in to unmask]) or just call me at the store with your credit card info and I can run it over the phone.

I haven't tried the Expandex yet myself, but I have several loyal customers who tell me they just love it!"

I'll probably order some and give it a try!

Best wishes,

Mary

*******
*******