From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:58:37 -0700
A workstation is a high end PC designed for high end  number
crunching use, like for example video editing. A server is designed
to transfer files among several users simultaneously at a high rate
of speed. But that doesn't mean you could not use a PC intended as a
server for a desktop, or vice versa.  To run your Server as a desktop
just install Windows 2000 or Windows XP PRO on it. Just make sure you
install a OS that supports SMP / dual processors.
Ubuntu Linux would be an excellent free OS for server, workstation or
desktop assuming you are not dead set on a windows machine.

When it was new, your Xeon Server could of been used as a
workstation, however now it is dated, and any dual core CPU is going
to smoke it. That does not preclude you from using it as a
workstation to do something like video or graphic editing, but it
will run slow compared to modern desktop hardware. However, it still
would make a great server, although it might use a lot of electricity
compared to modern servers.

Drivers should not be a problem. Windows will install certified
drivers right out of the box. Use Dells web site to identify
components, such as chipset, video, sound, whatever, and then hunt
down the drivers from Dell, or the appropriate manufacture. And you
can install video, hard drives or most anything else just like any
other PC. Don't be in a hurry to update your hardware until you get
everything original running first.

Right now I am writing this on my dual Xeon 3.06 Ghz / 4GB of RAM
machine which I originally built as a high end workstation 5 years
ago. I now run it 24/7  as server on my home Workgroup and it is
running XP PRO SP3. It still runs great but it uses a great deal of
electricity, ... more then my refrigerator! In fact, the cost of
power in southern California has gotten so expensive ,that I am now
thinking about turning my old PIII 1.1Ghz Thinkpad laptop into my
24/7 server, on my small home network.

You do not need to use Windows server software in order to perform
simple server jobs on a home or small business system running a
WORKGROUP. You simply designate one of your PCs as a server and put
your files, printers, etc all on that PC.... and call that your
server. That makes it easier to backup and manage.

However, if you are planing a business server that operates a DOMAIN
then you will need a server operating system. The difference between
a Domain and a Workgroup is that in a Domain you control just about
everything  from that Domain Server where as in a Workgroup each
individual member controls itself. This means you can control all
user activity from a central location. It doesn't matter if you have
five, or five thousand users, and if they are all in the same
building or spread out all over the globe. This is called scaling,
and is impossible with a Workgroup.

A server OS can be anything from any flavor of Linux for free, all
the way up to Windows Server 2003 for $1000 with five seat licensing.
And now MS has a home server designed to distribute media throughout
the home, that is getting rave reviews.

Good Luck!

Mark Rode
The Nospin Group