From:
gary tennesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:06:16 -0700
Hey gang!

I just got a new client who is running an Instagate firewall server.

He has static DSL service and the Instagate is slowing things down for
internet connectivity.  The software renewal is PRICEY, too.  Content
filtering isn't really a problem at this office so the software is not
necessary.

Can't I replace that thing with a simple 4-port router/firewall where I run
the DSL into WAN port and a cat-5 to the uplink or port 1 of the 20-port
hub; thus, eliminating the need for the Instagate?  Seems to me I had a
configuration years ago with a Cayman modem running to a Linksys router to
the 12-port hub and never had any problems.  The Internet was faster there,
too.

please advise.

running a windows 2003 server (PDC) and 12 workstations that spend 80
percent of the time using a DOS-like database and 20 percent ordering
inventory from the Internet.  Connections are cat-5 wire (gigabit) to a
24-port Netgear hub (and of course the DSL uplinks to the Instagate to the
netgear).

gary r. tennesen

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads