From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:17:10 -0800
Geoffrey Purcell wrote:
> I don't see vitamin D deficiency as being a realistic prospect unless one has darker skin and is living far away from the tropics without adequate exposure to sunlight.

Hi Geoff,
I doubt that throughout much of human evolution our forebears:
1.  bathed daily with soap,  washing off the oils that must interact
with UV rays for vitamin D;
2. worked inside buildings, vehicles, or other shaded places throughout
most of the daylight hours, thus limiting exposure to UV rays;
3. worn sun block to avoid skin cancer, which is designed to block UV rays;
4. eaten diets that contain limited vitamin D.

Our modern lifeways are very different from those of our prehistoric
ancestors.Light skin only helps if we get exposure to sunlight that is
comparable to that experienced by our ancestors throughout human evolution.

Best Wishes,
Ron

--
PK