From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:21:36 -0600
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:03:59 -0600, Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Remember, insulin is far more powerful than
> testosterone for anabolism - it's become a major ingredient in the
> arsenal of  performance enhancing drugs.

I don't think the primary focus of this list is competitive bodybuilding.
One of the most beneficial effects of the paleo diet (and protein power,
Atkins, and various others) is the moderation of the insulin response.

> Given vegetarianism does not provide biologically complete aminos, he
> reminded me protein uptake is not an 'all or nothing'deal - aminos
> remain in tact and in use for days  afteringestion - they have a half
> life.

Which is one of the reasons that I personally believe the "you need 30
grams of protein every three hours" bit is nonsense.

> What the exigencies of life may have imposed on Paleos is of little
> concern to me. In my training and that of students, we're making use of
> contemporary science, thereby taking a huge step forward beyond the
> erratic conditions of Paleos.

Then why bother with a paleo diet at all?

> ... Are yall familiar with the Pauling-Rath method of cleaning out
> arterial plaque by means of use of lysine, praline, and ascorbic acid.

No.  But then I'm not well versed in coronoary bypass procedures, either.
And I'd rather keep it that way.

--
   Robert Kesterson