From:
Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:00:44 -0600
Just a quick addendum to my earlier post: I'm by no means anti-HIT. With
fifty years in the irongame, I've tried darn near everything in that
perpetual quest for more muscle and more power. At some point an awakening
of sobriety occurred: am I getting the purported outcomes or not? I dare say
virtually any system of training will bring results over a six week period.
Then we plateau. Few authors address sustaining training benefits. Put
otherwise, if athletic coaches offered the same dismal training results as
bodybuilding authorities do, sports would be a mess!

I mix HIT protocols in my training...with limits, however. For myself, HIT
done exclusively was tantamount to injuries. Now in my sixties, I simply do
not care for losing training time due to injuries. Also noting the guys who
sustain heavy training also sustain ongoing injuries turning to chronic
degenerative conditions mandating surgeries, I'm simply disinterested.
Health and fitness have now become my most highly valued outcomes.

As for HIT being closest to Paleo, that's a stretch of imagination. Recent
fossilized footprints of an Australian aboriginal some 20,000 years ago
indicates a wider pace than today's top 100 meter sprinter. Sprinters don't
train HIT - they train HIIT, high intensity interval training. Such training
really primes the metabolism, for upwards of 24 hours post workout. I've
learned to look for the clues - and HIIT type training seems to bring about
the most bang for the buck - the capped delts and barndoor wide backs of
gymnasts (gymnasts doing their first weight training session after years of
competition usually rack over 300 lbs on the sport), the huge quads of speed
skaters (the first guy to win both sprints and long distance, Eric H, once
did five minutes of squats with 315!), boxers, divers, etc. I suspect a
stronger argument came be made for those athletes "being Paleo."

As far as HIT goes, I personally put a lot more weight on Ellington Darden
than AJ. Ell has kept abreast of new findings in exercise physiology and
implemented them. His last few books are  simply wonderful.