From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2008 21:33:02 -0400
Your signal might get worse with it out if you're not driving the radio hard
enough with it out. With the preamp on, it will make you louder, so that
will drive the radio more and on SSB, make your signal better, unless you
take it too far but with the newer radios it's almost impossible to over
drive. You can do it, but it's not easy. with the preamp out, you can turn
up the mic gain and your signal may go up too to a point. Usually, if that
EQ in the radio is like most of the newer Kenwood radios, usually you'd set
that to conventional, base boost is way way too much base, high cut, is
almost painful to listen to, flat is way too flat, conventional sounds good,
and I think you need software for the other setting. That's if it's the same
as most Kenwood radios, I don't know about the 480 not having one, but that
may help. In fact I'd say it will if it's the same. Me personally, I've
never sounded all that great with the MC-60A, good enough, but not like I
want except on the TS-440. I never hooked the W2IHY box and a better mic to
that one so I have no clue what that would have lead to.