From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:10:37 -0400
Howard,

I've got the Cobra Ultralite Senior.  I'm running it with the ends about 20
feet off the ground, supported between two trees at opposite ends of my yard
with no center support.  I put it up in 2004, and it has survived the last
four years here in New England.  It's a quiet antenna; in fact, when the
band was in bad shape, I sometimes wondered if it had come down, but it
hasn't yet.  In my setup, it performs well on 80 and 40, but not so well
above 40.  I suspect it would work better if I raised the center to 40 feet,
but haven't figured out a good way to support it.  You need a tuner no
matter what band you use, and I'm using an Icom AT500 which works better
than the internal tuner on my 480 because it uses tuned variable capacitors
rather than the fixed capacitors common in most internal tuners today.

I get my best reports on 80, and usually find that when I hear a 100-watt
station at S9 with no preamp and no attenuation, I get an S9 from that
station when I run 100 watts.  I've talked to N1UMJ in the middle of the
afternoon on 75 using that antenna, and if he remembers our QSO, he can tell
you what kind of signal I had.

There are, no doubt, better antennas than the Cobra Ultralite Senior, but if
you're looking for a low-cost (around $80), easy to install antenna, I don't
think you'll go wrong.

Steve