From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:15:35 -0500
Butch Bussen writes:
> This is strange.  I'm using pine and have never seen this befgore, why are
> all of these =20 showing up in my text.

It is a configuration setting at the sender's address as one
other poster responded.

	This is the best argument in the world against turning
on all the gee-whiz eye candy as certain companies like to do.
You install your new system and everything to make Email a
multimedia artistic extravaganza is turned on by default and you
have to figure it out as to how to turn most of it off.

	the =20's and other weirdisms are the result of 7-bit
systems trying to cope with 8-bit characters used in richtext to
impart color and or all kinds of effects such as flashing and
underlining, etc.

	There is nothing in the world wrong with this except
when the recipient's Email doesn't support 8-bit mime or at
least can't display 8-bit characters.

	There is a protocol for handling those characters in
7-bit mode such that supposedly, the whole binary mess can be
reconstructed.

	Some lists I am on go ballistic if somebody posts html
or attachments so the bitter truth is that Email meant for mass
audiences should really be as plane and free of binary junk as
is humanly possible.

	Senders who propagate these messages often-times are as
frustrated as the recipients because they just fired up their
system and took all the defaults and may not be sure quite how
to set their outgoing messages to be just plane text without
anything fancy.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer