VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 09:56:52 -0500
From:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Hello All:

I apologize up front for the length of this message.  I have been
working with a client for about a week trying to get his hotmail account
configured with Outlook Express.  We're running into two issues.

The first issue is that while we can get him set to receive mail, I'm
not able to get things set properly so he can send mail.  What he told
me is he was having problems sending from OE in Hotmail using the http
server which Hotmail has always used.  I remember hearing some time ago
that Hotmail wasn't going to be supporting http protocol anymore.  I
also had read or heard somewhere that they would be offering free pop3
mail access for people using OE or another pop3 client.

So, I googled and found the following pop3 settings:
Incoming mail server: pop3.live.com
Outgoing mail server: smtp.live.com
Account name <client e-mail address>
Password <e-mail password>
Server requires authentication: checked.
SSL connection: checked for both pop and smtp servers.
SMTP server port: 25 (I question that).
pop port: 995.

We can't get mail to go out on port 25 with this configuration.  I have
also tried 465.  I haven't tried unchecking SSL for the SMTP server and
using 25 yet, becase of the other issue we've been running into detailed
below.

Here's the other issue we've been running into.  It seems as though when
you are setting up an OE account and you put in a hotmail address, it
wants to automatically put in the http server value.  It also appears
that when you have set up the account, and you come back in to fix
something in the properties dialog, the server gets changed to HTTP
unless my client has been messing around himself with this which is
possible.

Does anyone know what the correct hotmail settings are for pop3 and
smtp, assuming you can send in OE through hotmail using these for free?
How does one get OE to not put in the HTTP server values automatically?

Thanks,

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)