VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:20:01 -0500
From:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Hello All:

I'm working with a lady that is using Internet Explorer 7, Adobe Reader
8 and Window-Eyes.  What she is having trouble doing is getting PDF
documents that she presses enter on links to to come up in Adobe Reader.

Here's what we have done.  As she had Adobe Reader 8, I assumed she
might have installed the google tool bar.  She did and we removed it in
add/remove programs.  After we did that, wen she pressed enter on the
link to the item she wanted to read, she got a new browser window up but
when she arrowed up in Window-Eyes it said top, and when she arrowed
down it said bottom, kind of like it was a blank screen.

I checked her settings under preferences in Adobe Reader 8.  She has the
option to display web pages in the browser unchecked which is correct
because that's what I have and my PDFs come up in a separate window
which is what she wants.

We made sure the security level in IE 7 for the internet zone was set at
the default level.  We made sure the item under the advanced tab of the
tools->options property sheet which says "allow active content to run in
files on my computer" is set to on.

None of these things helped.  When she presses enter on the link to the
PDF, she gets the blank window like I said earlier.  Having her alt-tab
around, there is an adobe reader window that comes up and says "alert:
document being processed," but it never brings up the document.  Also,
she doesn't get the dialog with all the options like "infer reading
order from document" either.

She can do a shift-F10 on the link to the PDF, save it to the computer
and open it by pressing enter on it in Adobe.  If anyone has ideas of
why she can't get the document to come up in adobe reader when pressing
enter on it from the website, I'd be interested.  She's trying to read a
curriculum overview on www.simplymusic.com.  If you want to replicate
the problem, go to that site, locate the link that says "learn from the
teacher" and press enter on it, then locate the curriculum overview link
and press enter on it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)