Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:05:56 -0500
Hi Phil;

http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/1603.html

"Your stomach is so acidic that no food can change its acidity. Citrus
fruits, vinegar, and vitamins such as ascorbic acid or folic acid do not
change the acidity of your stomach or your bloodstream. An entire bottle of
calcium pills or antacids would not change the acidity of your stomach for
more than a few minutes. "

If what he (Dr. Mirkin) says is true that no food can change the acidity of
the stomach, then how can alkaline-rich foods be a factor to urine pH?

Wouldn't the usual state of a normally healthy person's food that leaves the
stomach be a certain pH which is fairly high and doesn't really change much?
Buffering of pH is a normal human condition and utilizes calcium - but the
question is does it rise and fall tremendously based on the
alkalinity/acidity of your food intake (not your antacid intake [an abnormal
factor).

I have done some research which indicates that stomach pH can be changed if
one were to eat antacids such as Tums or Rolaids. But that might indicate an
unhealthy individual. I did not find reference to normal food changing the
pH... I guess that is the question. One wants a good acid somach for proper
digestion.

Research:

* * *

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00091.htm
So, in conclusion, pH is of crucial importance to our body. Should we
worry about it, then?
Not at all, because we can not control it. Biology has worked out an
infinitive sensitive and effective way to do control the pH, and we can't
overrule it even if we tried. The only exception is the pH in the stomach,
which can be turned to less acidic (taking anti-acids) during stomach
complaints. Even so, the 'signal' sent by such complaints should not be
overlooked: when a 'healthy' stomach pH is suddenly causing trouble one
should look for the underlying reason and not just treat the symptoms.

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio104/atom-h2o.htm
However, antacids such as TumsŪ or RolaidsŪ are so "strong" that they
overwhelm the person's stomach's buffers' ability to function properly,
drastically changing the pH of the stomach contents, and therefore, pepsin's
ability to digest the protein in one's diet. Calcium, by the way, is
absorbed better into one's body if the stomach contents are acidic, thus
antacids also interfere with our bodies' ability to properly absorb calcium.
To properly absorb dietary calcium, it should be consumed along with acidic
or slightly acidic substances (such as milk or orange juice), and not mixed
in with antacids.

* * *

Thats all for now,

Marilyn