Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:53:09 -0600
you will certainly get a little horrizontal polarization by putting the j
poll up horrizontally...however, you'll have to play around with how you
position it to get the best signals.  It will have a really odd lobe to it,
so just facing the long side of the j poll towards the person you are trying
to hear or contact won't necesarily be the best way to direct it.
a single element does exhibit horrizontal polarization when flat, but tends
to be omni directional anyway, so you probably won't have to worry too much
about directing it.
If you have a higher gain vertical antenna at any height, it will actually
out perform a low gain horrizontal single element on 2M ssb.  Once you get a
bit of gain on the horrizontal plain, even a few db, it'll put the 8 or
10DBi vertical at 40ft to shame when using it to talk to other hams on 2m
ssb using horrizontal antennas.

I have a 7 element horrizontal 2m beam up at about 10 feet, and a 9DB gain
co-liniar vertical at about 30 feet.  The beam, even though it is lower, and
has never been matched, has about a 20 to 30DB effect on received signals
and on my transmitted signal.
So about a 4 to 5 S unit jump when i switch to the beam from the vertical on
2m ssb.
 this is mostly because everyone else is using horrizontal antennas.
also, horrizontal polarized signals travel farther on 2M for some reason
compared with vertical signals...something to do with their ability to
travel over the ground and reach over the horizon to a greater extent then a
vertically polarized signal.
73
Colin, V A6BKX