Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:17:08 -0500
The Carolina Windom, as sold by Radio Works, is supplied with both a
feedpoint ballun, and a Line Isolator at the point where the 50 ohm coax
attaches to the vertical twin lead section.

A traditional Windom is fed with either 300 or 450 ohm line all the way to
the shack, usually to a 4 to 1 ballun just outside.

The absolutely pure, original Windom, was fed with a single wire, and
required a really good transmitter ground in order for it to work.

This one especially, would spray RF all over everything in sight!

The end fed half wave in the article Howard mentioned is also known as the
End Fed Zepp.

It too uses 450 ohm ladder line, with the end of the antenna simply
connected to one side of the ladder line. The other side of the line acts as
a counterpoise of sorts. Feedline length can get tricky if it approaches a
resonant length for a given band.

I used this arrangement in an apartment for several years. My 80 meter
version worked fine on all higher bands accept on 15 meters.

I used a manual MFJ tuner with it.

Mike Duke, K5XU