From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:50:36 -0500

There was some mention about Activia on the list, so I thought I'd
share my story.

My Mom, a non-scientist who has a deep affection for the sciences,
asked me, "What is Bifidus Regularis?" She had a seemingly undue
amount of skepticism in her voice.

Then followed the question with the comment, "Surely, someone at
Dannon's corporate office is laughing their tail off at the fact that
Americans buy into these fake scientific names and fake scientific
claims." But Mom, "Bifidus is a bacterium, it is a probiotic, it is
probably really good for you."

Then I went and looked up.

In short, Bifidus Regularis is a probiotic.

JUST FYI: Probiotics are dietary supplements which contain potentially
beneficial bacteria and yeasts. The rationale behind them is that
antibiotics, stress, illness and a variety of other causes reduce the
number of intestinal flora in the digestive tract. Probiotic products
aim to deliver extra intestinal flora to the gut to aid with
digestion, which may engender temporary colonies of bacteria that
assist the body's natural flora. Benefits are reported to include
immune system improvement; prevention of syndromes such as lactose
intolerance, diarrhea, constipation, and urinary tract infections; and
assistance in digestion and the absorption of nutrients. Species of
bacteria and yeasts used as probiotics include Bifidobacterium
bifidum, Bifidobacterium breve, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus
acidophilus, Saccharomyces boulardii, and Bacillus coagulans.

But... "Bifidus" and "Regularis" are not true scientific names. "They
are marketing names generated by Dannon for one of the specific
bacteria it uses in its "Activia" range of yogurt products."

So I was partially duped. I knew "Regularis" was made up.

The source of "Bifidus" is the intestinal bacterium Bifidobacterium
animalis. Bifidobacteria are normal inhabitants of the human and
animal colon. The scientifically correct name for this bacterium is
"Bifidobacterium animalis DN 173 010".

"Regularis" emphasizes being "regular" and "is" suggests a scientific
derivation. It is known as Bifidobacterium "Lactis" in Canadian
marketing materials and is marketed as Bifidus "Digestivum" in the UK.
"Digestivum" is another invented word which uses "digestive" as a root
to suggest beneficial effects on digestion, combined with the latinate
ending "um" to suggest a scientific derivation.

Facts excerpted from http://www.bifidusdigestivum.com/

 From what I hear, the "Activia challenge" is something you want to do
at home (not at work) - perhaps initiate it over the weekend - when
you can run to the bathroom if needed, and will not offend anyone if
you develop a sudden case of uncontrollable gas. Others, however, say
it did the trick!

As far as the marketing goes, I am not amused. Dumbicus naemicus comes
to mind :O

Cheers to good health!

Megan Tichy