From:
Raven Creature <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Raven Creature <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 20:50:44 -0500

The paraben question: there is no connection with gluten. However, with
those of us with already oversensitive skin, until there is a definitive
answer from the industry it would be a good idea to remove it from contact
with our skin:

-----

I mentioned glutens and paraben because I need cosmetics and skin products
that are gluten-free, and recently learned that studies have shown possible
connections between parabens and squamous cell skin cancer, with possible
connections between parabens and breast cancer in other studies.

Since I had one episode of squamous cell pre-cancer on the face already, and
areas of spots and splotches on the face that were becoming medium brown on
my fair skin, even wearing sun screen and a wide-brim hat every day, I
immediately discarded all my paraben-containing cosmetics and skin creams,
including Kinerase and Eucerin CoQ10, and bought paraben-free skin cream
that has a lot of vitamin A in it (Retinyl A Palmitate).

In less than 2 weeks, the paraben-free products that have vitamin A have
lightened the darkening areas, and they moisturize and reduce fine lines
better than the paraben-containing Eucerin Q10 SPF 15 and the Kinerase! That
tells me what parabens were doing to my skin.

Parabens are in many deodorants (as is aluminum, which is not good),
moisturizers, face creams, some sun blocks, nearly all the makeup you can
buy at a regular store - including mineral makeup like Jane Be Pure (I
haven't checked the Physicians Formula line), etc., etc.

Since I buy locally and try a product before ordering for a much cheaper
price somewhere online, due to many allergies to ingredients (skin breaks
out in cold sores around the mouth and nose), I went to a health food store
and bought Derma E Avocado and vitamin E cream, and Derma E Vitamin A cream
(more vitamin A), called the manufacturer without opening the products (so
they could be returned if they have gluten), and used them after learning
they are gluten-free. There is no paraben in these two products.

So there you have it. Plus, people can tell me you don't absorb gluten
through the skin, but I don't believe it. If you can wear a patch and absorb
medicines, hormones, and nicotine, I would think almost anything can absorb
through the skin. How can we be sure the chemicals in the skin don't break
down gliadin/gluten to peptide chains that are absorbed? While my main
concern is cross-contamination, handling things, and my tendency to get DH,
that bothers me, too.

So I will avoid gluten and parabens in topical products. You are free to
make your own choice. Given that both my parents had repeated skin cancers
(mostly basal cell carcinomas, though), and my bout with squamous cell
pre-cancer, no parabens for me. I've seen how much better my skin gets
without parabens and with products with vitamin A. The Ecco Bella makeup I
use has no parabens (though two of their products do).
-----

 And, since many of us seem to have varied skin and other autoimmune issues
I want to include this (partial) reply, as it might be applicable to others'
situations.:

-----

Your email caught my attention.  We have been trying to get a definative
diagnosis of my daughter's skin rash for over a year now.  My daughter (17)
has had an itchy rash on her hands and sometime feet that looks like small
(usually pin head size) clear bumps that eventually pop after lots of
scratching.  She has seen 2 different dermatologists and was initially
diagnosed as ezema and then dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) and then that was
questionable, checked for lupus and now the diagnosis is back to ezema.  I
was diagnosed with Celiac over 3 years ago.  So when the DH was mentioned I
knew of the relation to Celiac so was concerned that also might be involved.
When other treatments didn't work, my daughter tried a gluten free diet and
that seemed to help her skin, even though blood tests for celiac and also
wheat allergies have come back negative.  She still trys to avoid gluten,
but that's not a fun diet for anyone especially for a teenager and if it's
not making a difference.  Because we have not been able to get a definative
diagnosis I continue researching online for a possible answer.  Lauren also
is hyperthyroid (Graves Disease).
-----

I replied regarding my own situation and diagnosis with Dyshidrosis (not
DH). With that in mind, here is more info on this condition (which doesn't
seem to have any connection with CD as far as I can find).
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dyshidrosis/DS00804

~Raven Creature
http://ravencreature.com/