From:
Lynn Rainwater <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Rainwater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:29:11 -0600

After I talked with Pace Foods Customer Service this morning, another member
of our support group called them and received a different response, which I
quote below:

"I just spoke with a Pace representative, Miriam, about Pace products.  She
was immediately familiar with the controversy.  She told me that the recipe
has NOT changed any...there were no additions in the recipe.   She said the
govt. advised them about the new gluten-free definition they are working on
and when they tested the recipe it did not pass the parts per million in the
definition.  Her response was Pace is trying to work to make it meet the new
GF definition but it is not a simple solution.

I use Pace in my cooking and really would hate to give up the convenience
for some favorite recipes.  I told I would appreciate any efforts to meet
the new GF definition.

It is frustrating that we seem to get slightly different responses when we
call.  I guess when the new GF standards are passed this will happen on a
few other products.  The good news is it will help us all to eat safer.

Susan"

So, which is correct? The response I received that I received that the
ingredients had been changed in October 2008 or the information above
received by Susan? Or something else? I don't know. All I can say is that
Pace has changed their guidance re their products and says that none of them
are gluten free.

If the response to Susan is correct, then checking Use By dates (those with
a Use By date of October 2009 or later supposedly containing gluten) is
meaningless, as the ingredients were not changed.

Why would Pace products show gluten above 20 ppm when tested? Suggestions
with merit include the following made in response to the reply to Susan:

"It probably has to do with cross contamination from some other product..."

"I think it means they didn't add any gluten, they didn't change their
ingredients, and they don't know how it gets in there.  It could be
contaminated at their plant or it could be coming to them already
contaminated.

I agree it is a mystery.  It seems to matter about what all is made in a
facility and how they clean between making different products.  All very
complicated, isn't it?"

"They make all of the salsas and such in huge vats. I'm sure they use the
vats and mixers, as well as their chopping machines, to make other things.
Looking at the Pace website, I don't see a single ingredient that has
gluten, so they must share a factory/facility with another company, which
might make anything from gravy to bread, and there must be some kind of
cross-contamination. Otherwise, I can't understand why it wouldn't pass any
test -- there's nothing in the salsa's that isn't a veggie or an herb or
flavoring!"

I'm sorry that instead of clarifying the Pace position, our inquiries have
only brought differing (and incompatible) explanations from the company. Not
a public relations coup for Pace!

Lynn Rainwater

Branch Manager

Alamo Celiac GIG