From:
Lynn Rainwater <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Rainwater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:16:22 -0600

I just spoke with a Pace Foods representative on the phone, asking about the
reply a celiac just received: "At this time Pace does not have any gluten
free products." sent by "Pace Foods Web Team sad".

I asked what had changed in Pace products so that they were no longer gluten
free. I was told that this was proprietary information that Campbell will
not release. Pace Consumer Services does not know what the change to
flavorings involves, but the representative stated that it cannot be the
addition of wheat, as this would have to be listed per FALCPA. I think the
most likely addition would be barley malt, but that is just supposition on
my part.

I asked when the change took place. The switchover in the factories took
place in October 2008. To distinguish between safe (gluten-free) Pace
products and unsafe (gluten-containing) Pace products, look at the "Use By"
date, which is printed directly on the Pace jar in black ink on the glass
just below the lip. All products with a Use By date of October 2009 or later
are not gluten free.

Lynn Rainwater
Branch Manager
Alamo Celiac GIG