Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:08:32 -0600

Hi All--

I've been using a terrific bread recipe that a listmember sent me over a
year ago. I don't recall having this problem early on. I'm hoping someone
can help. (Ann, if you see this, maybe you can remind me of something I've
forgotten...?)

The recipe calls for 1 c. brown rice flour, 1 c. corn starch or arrowroot,
and 1 c. tapioca flour, plus three tsp. potato flour. The rest of the recipe
doesn't matter...the problem I'm having is that the crust gets too hard and
thick all the way around the loaf, which is because of the tapioca flour.
But I don't want to eliminate the tapioca because it gives the bread the
chewiness that so many GF breads lack. If I remember correctly, the type of
pan used to bake the bread can make a difference in the crust, but according
to "Joy of Cooking," dark pans, like those that are non-stick, glass pans
and dull aluminum pans produce a crisper crust. What's left?

Can I cut down on the tapioca and still maintain the chewiness w/o the hard
crust? If so, how much and what do I substitute for the tapioca that I
eliminate? Should I bake the bread at a lower temperature? The recipe calls
for 350 degrees for 1 hour or a bit longer. This is truly a terrific recipe
and I don't want to give it up, so any suggestions anyone can provide will
be greatly appreciated!

Thanks  ~~Ayn in Alabama

*******
*******