From:
Anne Luther <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Luther <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 21:56:57 -0500

A few months ago my support group, Gluten Free in Central Arkansas, bought a
kit of 10 tests from ELISA-Technologies. These are home tests for gluten.
They are easy to use and take only 10 minutes to run. My only complaint is
the cost. With shipping they are about $12 apiece.
http://www.elisa-tek.com/ez%20gluten.htm The tests are sensitive to 10ppm.

Here are the results:
Inconclusive test:
Quaker Oats product - tested incorrectly. Don't add too much liquid to the
tube

Negative for gluten:
365 Organic Wasabi Rice Crakers
365 Organic Classis Potato Chips, BBQ
365 Pasta Sauce, Roasted Red Pepper
Arrowhead Mills Organic Yellow Cornmeal
Enviro Kids Organic - Panda Puffs
Blue Diamond Nut Thins

Postive for gluten:
Sushi Sonic Real Wasabi - the only ingredient was wasabi
Quaker Corn meal/Laxmi corn flour Old Bay Seasonings mix for fish - now I
need to buy more test kits and check each separately. I suspect the Quaker
product.

High positive for gluten:
A "real" pretzel was used for a control specimen.

Reasons for some of the food choices:
365 products of Whole Foods as they all contain a "made in a facility with
wheat" statement.
I have heard more than one person say they react to Nut Thins
Wasabi powder - a member became sick after eating this.
Corn meal/corn flour mix. This is the mix my husband uses on fried fish.

Of course a negative test does not mean every package of that item will be
GF. A positive test does not mean every package will test positive. Leaves
us guessing.

Anne Luther
Gluten Free in Central Arkansas, branch of GIG
www.centralarkansasgig.org