Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:57:10 -0700

Thank you so much for all of the advice on eating gluten-free in Manhattan.  I really appreciate it.  Everyone was so helpful.  I will try to condense all of the information the best that I can.  New York celiacs are VERY lucky!  There is a huge number of safe places to eat there.  This Listserv is the BEST.  Here's the summary:

Top 4 restaurants recommended hands down:
Risotteria (GF pizza, bread sticks, desserts)
Nizza
Ruby Foo's (Asian cuisine)
Lilli and Loo
********

I didn't have any problems eating GF and everyone knew exactly
what that was.  NEW YORK VISITING.doc (39KB)
********
www.gladtobeglutenfree.blogspot.com
********
Take a walk for lunch to Mozzerelli's for GF pizza-various kinds- and desserts.
23rd between madison and park
********
NYCCeliac.doc (194KB)
********
http://www.geocities.com/glutenfreenyc/dining.html
http://www.mapbuilder.net/UserMap.php?
http://glutenfreenyc.blogspot.com/
********
Check out:  http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/  to search; for a list of ones in manhattan http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/zip_search.php ; and for all of those in ny  http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/adv_search.php?name=&city=&state=NY&cuisine=&submit=Search
********
I like the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station.  Great fish, fabulous seafood.  On the expensive side.
********
This is a great option in the theater district: http://aglutenfreeguide.com/gluten-free-restaurants-nyc-nizza-hits-midtown-with-soccas-and-more.html
********
Try Ruby Foo's right in Times Square on Broadway.  Great Chinese food.   Pala on Allen Street has great pizza, but not in the Times Square area.  Nizza on 9th Ave between 44th and 45th was very good.  Check out Celiachicks.com
********
This was just posted today- you may find it helpful
http://petercherches.blogspot.com/
********
One of our personal favorites is Rice 'n' Beans on 9th Ave I think between 50 and 51st on the East Side of Ninth.  They have extremely reasonably priced GF food--rice, beans, of course, plantains, greens, grilled fish and meats - it's a tiny little place that only real New Yorkers know about and it is fun to eat there if you like not spending a fortune and feeling like an insider at the same time.
********
http://tinyurl.com/gfnewyork
********
GF in NY
Petit Cafe
70 Greenwich Avenue (between 7th Ave. and Perry Street)
********
Bistangos is great!
********
The truth is that you can eat GF in almost any restaurant with variety on the menu and ambition in the kitchen, but the immediate Times Sq. area is notably lacking in good choices. Tourist central is never the place to look for food: bad (i.e., dead ordinary) and expensive. But walk a couple of blocks to 9th Avenue.

Between 43rd or 44th St. all the way up to the low 50s there are multiple places on each block specializing in food from many corners of the world. New York prices are high compared to elsewhere in the country, of course, but to my mind, Outback is outrageously expensive for what it is, while the Turkish (I think that's it -- Greek maybe?) place on the west side of 9th across from the Film Center at 44th Street is interesting, tasty, and for Manhattan, gently priced.

One of the best high-end restaurants in New York, if you're into that kind of thing, is a mostly seafood place on 43rd or 44th called Esca. Google it and you can take a look at a menu. Reservations mandatory; it's very well-known and popular.

At Esca or in any of the other places (you'll check the posted menus first, of course, to make sure there are likely choices) the servers are professional enough to listen carefully to what you say about GF and to ask the kitchen about ingredients if they don't know themselves. GF is getting easier and easier to do w/out a special GF menu. I tell them I have an absolute gluten intolerance, pinpoint things on the menu I think are likely to be okay, and ask them to let me know ALL ingredients not listed in the description. I haven't had a problem at a restaurant in a long time. Years, probably.
********
THANK YOU, THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR WONDERFUL RESPONSES.
YOU ARE ALL THE BEST!  SEEMS LIKE NEW YORK HAS GOT IT TOGETHER FOR EATING GLUTEN-FREE.  HOPEFULLY ALL CITIES WILL BE ABLE TO DO THE SAME ONE DAY!
Denise