Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:02:37 -0600

I apologize for taking so long to summarize.  I got bronchitis and didn't
get back to this.

Following are the comments I got about my sister's test.  It sounds like she
needs to ask the doctor for a copy of the report/results.  Thanks to all who
responded.  Sooner or later, she will probably get convinced but in the
meantime, she is going to play the denial game.

Send it to the University of Chicago Celiac Center. Celiacdisease.net. The
pathologist can give a second opinion. J

Some people who are only gluten intolerant as opposed to being Celiac do not
show this on testing. If the one continues to eat gluten, it can then
develop into a full blown celiac.

Trina

Those CPT codes represent the procedures done.  A colonoscopy won't help
diagnose CD but could show up other bowel problems - polyps. colitis,
Crohns, diverticulitis, etc. But an EGD (esopho-gastro-duodenum scope) would
have been the right test for CD and it looks like biopsy slides were done.
Your sister's doctor should answer all her questions - or if she is
uncomfortable asking, she can request a copy of those pathology reports - or
her whole chart - and thus see for herself what was done, the final
diagnosis, his opinions, etc. Besides procedure codes there are also
diagnosis codes. For CD, it is 579.0.

Cheryl in PA

When I was diagnosed twenty years ago by an allergist...she said to stick to
the diet..strictly..and if it worked then I was celiac.  many of us old
timers were diagnosed this way.   she did it because there are no meds for
celiac and the main reason...most labs are owned by md's and are money
makers for them.  have her just stick to the diet and see.  btw..newbies
react badly to white vinegar so have her stay away from anything with white
vinegar in it...mayo, salad dressings, pickles etc.  While the biopsies are
more apt to be right than the blood tests, they can be wrong also.  Thank
you for this excellent information.  It segues  into the endoscopy biopsies
I had done.  In addition to Celiac disease, one was for the bacteria H.
pylori that causes duodenal ulcers.  Look forward to reading your summary.
arlene in california

What you listed is the bill

Ask for a copy of the Pathologists report.  They must give it to you because
it is yours.
Don in Carlsbad

This just says she had 4 biopsies taken during her egd - which is just
another name for endoscopy.  It does not say where the biopsies were from,
but she can get a copy of her "pathology" report and her "surgical" report
from her Dr, after they come back.  It usually takes 4days to 2 weeks to get
the pathology report back.  Good luck!

Suzie

Thanks again,

Sharon