From:
John Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:26:20 -0600

The basic question revolved around whether topical exposure is dangerous, or
problematic. Or breathing in wheat or other gluten-containing dust in the
air when in heavy concentrations (bakeries, pizza places, etc). And whether
distilled products are totally safe.
___________

Some maintain all the above are safe, no problem. Several said gluten
molecules absolutely cannot enter through the skin, but suggested likely
contamination through hand-to-mouth and similar situations. A couple agreed
that heavy concentrations of gluten flour in the air can be a problem.
Others noted the distillation process never eliminates 100% of contaminants,
just more than enough to be considered safe for most people.

Most noted a varying sensitivity scale amongst Celiac sufferers, with some
not affected while the other end of the scale can experience reactions.

Some said theyıve had all sorts of reactions similar to those Iıve had, and
been warned of by my doctors.
___________

One summed it up pretty well:
³I'm starting to think there's no such thing as wrong information, because
it seems to be correct for some.  You'll get adamant responses from people
who say unequivocally that you won't be affected by... topical applications,
shampoos, soaps...distilled alcohol - drinking or otherwise...all kinds of
other controversial products.  You'll get equally adamant responses from
people who say that they personally have been affected by the things that
weren't supposed to affect them.
My husband is the celiac in my family and he plays it safe by listening to
the few who have had the reactions.  For him, all the science and all the
experts are no match for the actual experiences of the minority.  Bottom
line is, you have to decide for yourself.
Good luck, and stay tuned to this group.²
___________

So for myself, based on not only what my doctors have told me, but the fact
I seem to be on the most severe end of the scale (if it exists), as my
immune system was wiped out, I contracted many Celiac-related diseases and
virtually always react to ANY and ALL forms of gluten contact, Iım going to
continue to avoid pretty much everything I used to. With the possible
exception of minor distilled products in cooking when thereıs no good or
easy alternative, on a very limited basis.

And as I can get many types of reactions from topical products containing
gluten, from rashes to gastrointestinal stuff, other common reactions (for
me), I have to believe that although common gluten molecules are ³too big²
to be absorbed through the skin, itıs possible processing or other chemical
processes do make it possible, or likely.

Overall, as far as topical or distilled products go, if you react to it,
stop itıs use. If continued use not only doesnıt cause any reaction, and
youıre regularly monitored/tested by doctors for any internal indication of
active Celiac damage, well, perhaps youıre among the lucky who donıt
experience worst-case scenarios.

And obviously, more large-scale studies need to continue to be done.

John