AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Peter W. Vakunta" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:25:58 -0500

AFRICA FEST 2007 - AUGUST 11, 2007 at WARNER PARK

Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year:Oct - Sept.

Mail check to: AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701
Phone: 608-258-0261 -- Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.AfricanAssociation.org

"If you look at Africa, you can't classify Senegal as a bad pupil," Sarkozy said late Wednesday. "
The foregoing is a statement made by the president of a western nation (France) in reference to the president of an ex-colonized African nation (Senegal) on the occasion of the former's tour of Francophone Africa. I thought that Abdoulaye  Wade was the president of an independent country. Hardly did I know that Mr Wade was still a pupil sitting on a bench in a Gaullist school of ideological intoxication gulping down the tomfoolery of Nicolas Sarkozy. I wonder when this nonsensical Western paternalism toward the African continent will ever come to an end. Senegal is not an isolated case. Many years ago lame duck Head of State Mr Paul Biya of Cameroon described himself as the "best pupil" of Francois Mitterand. There was a hue and cry in the Cameroonian media about the subservient attitude of the Cameroonian head of state to no avail. Mr Paul  Biya  simply said " le chien  aboie et la caravane passe." in typical Beti nonchalance. When will these minions who call themselves Afr
ican leaders  ever learn to stand on their wobbling legs and tell these Western  bigots that self-determination is the magic wand needed  in the developmental enterprise of the African continent? We need South-South cooperation and not make-believe South- North cooperation (disguised re-colonization). The  African Union through NEPAD has put a premium on  South-South integration. No amount of Western "goodwill" will get us of out of the current socio-economic quagmire in which we find ourselves. We had better learn this lesson and desist from kowtowing in front of the  self-seeking Gang of industrialized Robbers (G-8).

PETER W.VAKUNTA
DEPARTMENT OF FRENCH AND ITALIAN
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MADISON
602 VAN HISE HALL
1220 LINDEN DRIVE
MADISON WI 53706-1525
U.S.A
Office  608 262 4067
Home    608 442 6089
Cell    608 381 0407

"The day will come when history will speak... Africa will write its own history... it will be a history of glory and dignity." - Patrice Lumumba