From:
Harris Paltrowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 19:52:45 -0400
>I have seen several references to a "Zone Diet." Can someone tell me what
>this is?

>TIA
>Freda

        The Zone diet was written about in a book called "Enter The Zone" by
a guy named Barry Sears.  It's basically a very balanced diet, by most
standards.  It's the "40-30-30" diet you may hear about, 40% of your
calories coming from carbs and 30 each from protein and fat.  It also
encourages the limiting of starchy foods and saturated fats.
        I've been on it pretty strictly for about a week, and I'm doing
okay.  I've lost a couple of pounds, even though I'm eating more than I'm
supposed to for my body weight and size!  Besides it being balanced and also
selective with foods, it's actually a low-cal diet.  Some of the current
diet debunkers say that this is the reason why it's successful at all - that
it's just a low-cal diet in disguise, proving that low-cal is the only way
that really works.
        The problem I'm having with the diet is that the quantities are
really limited.  For example, I'm 5 feet 11 inches tall, and weigh 210
pounds.  According to the body-composition calculations in the book, I
should be eating between 1500 and 1700 calories a day!  Not nearly enough
for a food-lover like me!  This is the reason why I'm looking into the
Neanderthin diet - since it apparently doesn't place limits on food
quantities.  I'd love to sit down and dig in to half of a roast chicken, a
big plate of spinach and some bananas for dessert.

Take care,
Harris