From:
Juergen Botz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:55:43 -0300
Geoffrey Purcell wrote:
>  The trouble with coconut-oil and palm-oil is that, unlike olive oil, they are also being used as biofuel, so waste far greater areas of land. Not only  have there been serious questions raised re the actual value of biofuels re reducing global warming(especially since cultivating biofuels has seriously helped to destroy our last remaining rain-forests), but there have also been a lot of recent reports in the media linking recent significant rises in global food-prices to the cultivation of biofuels as that has greatly reduced the amount of land available for growing crops purely for food-consumption.

The trouble with your argument is that you're throwing out the baby
with the bathwater.  Just because biofuel is bad (and although I agree
that the current "fashion" for biofuel is BS, that's another question)
that doesn't mean that we should stop EATING all the plants that
biofuel is or can be produced from.  In the contrary, one way of
fighting biofuel is to create more market for the food value of
those plants... coconut oil in health food stores is costs many
times of what it costs in the diesel tank, so if only enough
people buy it the farmer will sell to this market rather than
biofuel.

:j