C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:59:04 +0100
On Wednesday 30 July 2008 19:22:12 Linda Macaulay wrote:
> Here's something I found on BabyCenter -- take a look!
>
> Australian study seeks genetic roots of cerebral palsy
>
> http://www.babycenter.com/204_australian-study-seeks-genetic-roots-of-
> cerebral-palsy_5234805.bc
> (If clicking doesn't work, simply cut and paste the link into your
> Web browser.)
>

> When I first saw the title, I thought "No way!", but then in reading
> it, maybe...

Yeah, I thought maybe, then I thought of the hundreds of people with CP I
know, how many had siblings also with CP (=1) then I thought of the dozen
CPers I know with kids. how many kids had CP (=0).

So if there is a genetic component it doesn't affect many, but would that stop
a drug company from preying on the fears of pregnant mums by developing a
drug which "cures" them from the small risk they have a gene which increases
the risk of blood clots on the brain.

Cheers

Deri