From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2009 21:11:04 -0600
Bob,

Probably none of those things I suggested had anything to do with it but I
sure have seen some weird SWR readings based upon those types of things.
Most likely, with the reading .5 and .7 apart, it is just the discrepancy,
that is, the inaccuracy of the meter.  My TW1 and 2 give slightly different
readings one minute to the next, too.  Sometimes a coax connector can be the
cause, loose verses super tight.  Your pet dog could be outside taking a
leak and peeing on your coax, thus raising the temperature, and changing the
SWR.  Sort of kidding there but you never know.  I read an article once
where two guys, line of sight, on 1296 megs were about two blocks from each
other and working side band, I think they said, and one night when they
scheduled together, one of the guy's signals was down 20 to 30 DB.  They
tried all sorts of things trying to figure out why the signal drop.  Power
and SWR was fine and antennas hadn't changed.  Then one guy remember he had
been working on his roof.  Oh, I forgot, the antennas were in their attics.
He had pounded some new nails into the shingles and one of the nails was
blocking the beamed signal for light of sight.  He pulled the nail, and the
signal on 1296 bounced right back up.

Phil.
K0NX