From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:48:46 -0400
All you can do pretty much is run it and see. When I was on vacation a
couple years ago, we had major cable leakage, wiped out 145.25, and when
everyone turned on their TV's at night it took out the whole 2 meter band
for me, with an S9 of noise, HT, IC-706 it didn't matter. Funny thing was,
I'd run 100 watts on HF every night, and we were all in cabins so close I
could hear the TV's in the nearer ones and I didn't do a thing to them, so
you never know, and if I was ever going to bother a TV, that was just the
setup to do it with. My antenna was obvious as could be too, Carolina bug
catcher on a tripod, right at the edge of the road that ran around the horse
shoe of cabins, I mean, you couldn't miss the thing even if you wanted to. I
was asked more than once if it was a bug zapper or what it was, but, I never
bothered anything there. I did look and the cable wiring looked like some of
the first ever run when they got cable TV, not well run, very well chewed,
not well suspended around the buildings, it ran around half the buildings
with nothing to hold it to the building except at the corners, I mean, I
almost didn't operate when I looked at that sure I'd never do it with out
RFI but nope, there was never a problem, except on 2 meters. That
interference was both ways if I ran any more than 5 watts. These cabins were
barely a car's width apart, you could park a car between them, but be
careful opening the doors on both sides because a wide car would hit the
buildings. That's how close we were there with cabins all 4 sides of us. In
back we had maybe double that though I don't think so and the front there
was a yard, but the tripod took up the whole thing. So, you never know, if
you stay off 10 meters and probably 12, you could very well be fine like I
was there.