From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2008 19:44:53 -0400
    Tom,

Think of it this way:   The TW-1 meter is looking down the coax towards the
antenna.  It needs to see the tuner first so it can  watch you jiggle  and
turn the knobs  as the match is changed.   If you put the meter after the
tuner and your antenna swr is 3:1, the meter will always see 3:1, no matter
how much you twist the tuner knobs.

While not the same model as yours, my old MFJ tuner  had  settings marked
"coax 1" which put the RF through the tuner,  and "coax 1 direct", which
bypassed the tuner..

BTW: I had another change of heart and dropped my 40-80-160 loaded dipole
yesterday and put the 80 meter Windom back up.
73, Steve KW3A