From:
David Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2008 10:11:34 -0400
Hi, Eric.
	Thanks for this recommendation.  I just downloaded and installed
MorseGen, and although there are a few nondescript buttons, it works,
for the most part, pretty much right out of the box.  I actually like
this program and the NuMorse that Tom recommended.
	The key differences, as I see them so far, are that NuMorse
isn't as immediately accessible, although Tom tells me that the
developer, Tony Lacy, has built in a number of hotkeys.  Second,
NuMorse, as a shareware program, is supported, and it is a much more
thorough suite of programs, replete with practice tests, hints for
learning the code, etc.  But, MorseGen, while no longer supported by the
developer, is free.  It provides easy adjustment of speed, letter
spacing, and does give you choices for generating code from a file, from
qsos, etc.  They both support the Koch method of practice.
	So, I offer this very cursory comparison to the group, in case
someone else is trying to evaluate some morse code programs.
Essentially, in my opinion, if all you want to do is listen to code
practice to increase your speed, for the price, MorseGen should be
adequate.  On the other hand, if you or a friend want to start at the
beginning, learning the code by various methods, getting lots of help
along the way, then the NuMorse is probably a better choice.
	Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and sources for this
little investigation.

Dave