From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2008 10:48:02 -0600
TVI isn't so muchof an issue anymore...not like it used to be.
The issues now are getting into computer speakers and those crappy bed side
clock radios and sometimes answering machines and so on.
You can get into a buildings telephone system as well.  These are usually
due to bad wiring, poor insulation and shorts in different places, but they
still happen and most people assume it is the radio operators fault.
If you have a well designed antenna and some sort of ground system, you will
probably not have any kind of RFI problems, except for perhaps right in the
near field of the antenna within your own residence.
I think using a counter poise can help to bleed off any stray RF...also use
of a balun and a good Low pass filter will help allot.
Most modern rigs do use low pass filtering as part of the design, but it
sometimes isn't quite enough to totally brickwall frequencies above 30MHZ.
A long wire type of design has inherent RFI issues....as do antennas such as
J  polls and antennas that have a very very high feedpoint impedance.
Your best bet for an apartment is some sort of portible vertical or screw
driver type of antenna out on the balcony or set up in the living room.
Something that doesn't require miles of ground radials and that is
relatively efficient...there are quite a few brands like that.
Especially if you are interested in freqs only up to maybe 40 metres.
73
Colin, V A6BKX