Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 1995 11:35:14 -0500
From:
Larry P. Price <[log in to unmask]>

My girlfriend, her family, & her personal physician have no doubt that
she has celiac sprue.  She has many of the classic symptoms (DH, diarhea
when gluten in the diet, abdominal pain when gluten in diet).  With the
exception of accidents, she has been gluten-free for over a year and a
half with symptoms only returning when accidents occur (fries from grease
used for onion rings, etc).  Her health has improved 100% for every month
that she is gluten-free!

She has no desire to go through another surgery (biopsy).  But, for
several reasons, we are interested in learning more about the formal
diagnostic process.  We already know that she would have to consume
gluten prior to testing.  Since her reaction to gluten in the diet is
acute we hope that she would not have to consume very much gluten for
very long (her most recent reaction to ingestion of french fries from
a restaurant that she had not previously had problems with caused
problems with 15 minutes).

Specifically, since she has no health insurance, cost:

1)  How much (roughly) would it cost for her to have the blood test for
    anti-gliadin, etc, antibodies?

2)  How much (roughly) would it cost to get the genetic tests to learn
    if she is predisposed (her father's parents were from western
    Ireland and her mothers family is primarily from Northern Europe)?

3)  How much (roughly) would it cost for a biopsy and lab work to look
    for flattened villi?

4)  What other medical expenses should we expect if we decide to
    persue "formal" diagnosis?

Thanx in advance for any and all help...

                                        -LPP