Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 05:18:44 -0700

I got back from New Orleans on Sunday, and it was a great trip. I didn't eat out much since I was staying with a friend which really helped. However, there are a few places I can comment about...

  Acme Oyster House - There seems to be some confusion in the archives. Here's the info I have. Most things at Acme are fried. They have both a cornmeal mixture and a flour mixture that they use for frying. They do have dedicated friers for each and are willing to use the cornmeal mixture as a substitute on the items normally fried in the flour mixture. BUT, and this is a big one, the cornmeal mixture contains wheat, so none of that other stuff matters as far as we are concerned. Also, the marinade that they use for the grilled chicken and shrip also contains wheat. I am not an oyster eater (I went to this place because the people I was with really like it), but I was able to get a nice salad with grilled shrimp (unmarinated). In conclusion, unless you are going for the oysters, this is generally not a good option for celiacs.

  Crawfish boils - In a post in the archives, someone said that the seasoning used in these can have wheat in them. I don't know if it was meant as a general caution against seasoning mixtures or if the poster knew of some particular places that have wheat. Anyway, we got ours from a place called Bobby's in Harahan, and they verified it was GF. I also noticed that all of the Zateran's brand crawfish boil seasoning also looked GF.

  The Gazebo - This is a place down in the French Quarter. We went here because in the past, this place has had boiled seafood that I could eat. However, it wasn't on the menu and when we asked, we were told that it wasn't carried. (Then when we were leaving, we saw a customer with crawfish, so I don't know what the deal was.) Their marinated grilled chicken is safe, though, so I got a grilled chicken po-boy, without the bread of course. One comment I have, after the waiter went to check on the marinade, he assumed that I would be ordering the po-boy without the bread. This seems like an obvious thing, but I've come across a lot of waiters in various places that can't seem to make the connection and have made me nervous about my meal being GF.

  There was also this chocolate shop next door to The Gazebo. I was excited because they had a nice selection of sugar-free chocolates, but they turned out to not be GF. I didn't ask about the regular chocolates.

  Well, that's all I have to report.
  Angela Taylor