From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:15:21 -0400

Experimented with mock crab cakes tonight.  I apologize up front that I don't have exact measurements....mainly because I didn't have an exact recipe, and I was just playing...trying to copy my son's impromptu recipe for real crabcakes.

With one pound of fish, this recipe too much for two adults, but I not sure it's enough for three adults. It would depend upon their appetite and what else is being served. Adjust the amounts accordingly.

Place one pound of cod in a baking dish, squeeze the juice of one lemon over it, generously season with Old Bay (or similar spices) and fresh pepper. Bake in 350 oven until nearly done...until it flakes in large chunks with a fork but doesn't fall apart. I don't think it took more than 15 minutes and my fish was slightly frozen.

Put cod in a large bowl without any residual liquid from the pan, and flake it into pieces the size of the chunks that crab meat would be if using lumpmeat crab. Hmmm. Maybe half inch chunks???? Let cool so you can handle it.

When no longer hot......Mix in 2.2 oz (a handful????) of Crumbs.....I used Glutino Gluten Free Crackers...the kind that look like Ritz crackers. The new boxes have 4.4 oz of cookies, divided into two foil bags. I made crumbs out of the crackers in one of the bags....not the whole box. (I just smash crackers in a baggie, not totally sealed, using a rolling pin or whatever is handy.)

Mix in 1 large beaten egg.

Mix in mayonnaise.... enough to make the mixture hold together when you try to make balls. I used the soup spoon or tablespoon from my regular silverware/flatware set and spooned in three generous spoonfuls, then added a little more as needed.

At this point, I also added a few more shakes of Old Bay and black pepper, but we like it spicy.

Make about 12 balls out of the mixture. Press firmly in hands to get to stay in shape...sort of ball shape, but then I flattened them a bit. (The size would be small if they were really crabcakes, but I'm not sure larger ones will hold together.)

While making the balls, heat a large frying pan and melt about 1 tablespoon of butter and enough olive oil to coat the pan. (Butter alone will burn.) When hot, carefully place some of the balls in pan and brown on both sides.  Don't do all 12 at once. You need room to turn them over.

I serve them with our own choice of sauce.... a little (to taste) mustard in mayonnaise. This works as a sauce on just about any of my fish dishes and even as a topping for asparagus.

*******
*******