THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:35:56 -0800
Hi, I am Vy and this is my first post.  I wanted to know if by chance any of you had ever heard of a person with really severe symptoms like mine even though my TSH, t3 and t4 levels seem to be not that far off even though they are going up and down.  I have been going back and forth between classic hyperthyroid and hypothyroid symptoms for at least eight months and taking Levothroid helps a lot.

Since November of 2001 I have had a lot of inflammation, pain and spasm in my legs and lower back.  I had steroid injections in both hips for about a year.  They helped somewhat.  The pain got worse and kept me from walking for about four months in spring 2002.

My blood work in March of 2001 showed slightly high TSH at 6.395mcIU/mL and I had a low T3 uptake (23%), high glucose (119mg/dL), high calcium (11.7mg/dL), and high total serum protein (9.8g/dL).  I had normal t4 (8.5mcg/dL), and a free thyroxine index of 1.9 and was negative for anti-DNA, anti-ANA, lyme or rheumatoid markers.

At the end of May 2001, I had no anti-thyroid antibodies – and here I mean thyroid peroxidase and thyroid antithyroglobulin, and a normal TSH (2.406 mcIU/dL), and normal PTH.

During the summer of 2002 is the first time I noticed definite signs of hyperthyroidism. My hands shook badly, I started having night sweats and fever, my leg muscles were weak, I was losing weight like crazy, my hair fell out (it always has though, so I am not sure if that matters), and I had insomnia.  I also had strong pains, aches in joints, hands and feet, a great deal of difficulty focusing, forgetfulness, my infections were more frequent and lasted longer, and I was really depressed.  The physical symptoms slowly went away over months with total bedrest.

During the fall of 2002 I had symptoms of hypothyroidism and they became progressively worse over the winter and new year (2003): I felt cold, my voice became hoarse, I had pains, aches, stiffness, tingling in joints, muscles, hands and/or feet, my hands started to hurt, I felt depressed, I had difficulty concentrating or remembering things, and I had puffiness and swelling around the eyes.

At the end of January this year, I felt an overwhelming fatigue, and I began sleeping over 16 hours a night, and went to an internist four days later.  I had a TSH of 7.3.  A week later I began having trouble even moving. It took great effort. I went to another internist who prescribed Levothroid, 50 mcg. It helped a lot, and when I went up to 75mcg (1 week after taking it) I began to feel much better, slowly. At week 3 on 100mcg I am feeling symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

The problem is that the blood tests from the last time I went in, which I had taken before any Levothroid, were normal.  I had a normal TSH (2.6uIU/mL), a normal total T3 (107ng/dL), a normal free T4(analog) (.9ng/dL), and all other tests for autoimmune disease that I mentioned above were normal.

My doctors are giving up and I am really worried because I know something is wrong.  I am happy though, because the Levothroid really helped, and nothing else has for a long time.  Please let me know if you have any questions, and I would be grateful for any thoughts.

Thank you, Vy